Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Sound of the Pump...




The magical sound of the pump, no not the squeaky pivot cup, no not the groans and grunts of old dudes pumping down the road, and no not the lime zigs crunching over gravel, but the actual tunes that ignite the pumping fire!!

So what tunes do LDPers most enjoy when in the midst of their groove? I know fellow RUL member Zach prefers books on tape...seriously. He claimed it was an educational treatise on finance, but we dug through his bag and it was this ....dooohhh!!! Mikey V has musical tastes that run the gamete, so no one can say for sure what might be fueling his stoke, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if the sounds reverberating out of his earphones are those of the truly amazing John Tesh. And well, our own Dr Longboard, he just listens to the voices in his head, scary thought?...maybe...but probably something more to the effect of, "Wow!! It is so quiet and peaceful out here. No sick kids crying, no angry moms whining, no hapless babies coughing, no furious moms cursing, no nurses screaming...." For me, my pumpin fire has lately been ignited by the likes of Groundation, SOJA, Widespread Panic, Chali2 Na, Gift of Gab, just to name a few. So, what ignites your pumpin fire?

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, C-Note! And there is nothing wrong with John Tesh. He is huge in Europe. I feel like I could throw a lot of directions out here (Gift of Gab and Blackalicious, particularly Blazing Arrow, you can't do better than), but I'll pick just a few: Herbie Hancock is a staple, John Scofield, Katastro, the Beastie Boys (Check Your Head), Digable Planets, Culver City Dub Collective, Ozomatli, A Tribe Called Quest.

    I do also enjoy hearing/feeling the wheels rhythmically glide of smooth pavement--it's own sweet music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I usually pump to the sound of silence. Of course it isn't silence what with the crunch of the wheels, more so with Speedvents over the asphalt. I like the rhythm it creates and feel like I can get into a pretty good groove without music.

    The more practical reasons I don't bother with it is I don't seem to have any time to download, store, organize and load music. I do like Pandora for the gym, the ten minutes a day I sit at my desk at work, and the few times I have gone for longer, solo distances on the longboard. I can't really rock the tunes on my Ruckus either, and with running I prefer to get lost in my own thoughts without music.

    ReplyDelete